Thursday, March 17, 2005

Manij Sighting

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Irshad Manji on Bill Maher's Real Time on HBO. No, I didn't watch it. I am actually surprised that she wasn't on his show sooner. They are both angry, sarcastic, hate Muslims and have an overwhelming sense of their own intellectual superiority so I can see why they would have a lot to talk about.

The fact of the matter is, if Irshad Manji, was Irene Matthews and wrote a book called "The Trouble with Christianity or Judaism," no one...and I mean no one, would give it any thought. There have been many books blasting other faiths but none so popular as hers, even though there is no basis for her theories (not to mention, no footnotes!). But ignorance breeds ignorance. She's awarded the undeserving gift of being labeled a "hero" and "feminist of the universe" while the unsung heroes like Mukhtar Mai have no trendy sex lives or media savvy quips and one-liners to market to the general public.

There are activists; hard working, faithful, courageous Muslim activists, male and female, fighting on the battlefields of injustice everyday for their rights. Whose gonna give Mukhtar Mai a book deal? Whose gonna give Anima Lawal a chance to speak for herself rather than the annoying, psuedo-feminist rantings of those who think female imans and sexual freedom are the real issues instead of poverty, education, independence, the end of exploitation and the right for Muslims to be Muslim.

:::Sigh:::

I'll get off my soapbox. Manji would do well to give a little of her ill-gotten dividends to some poor people. Maybe that will purify her wealth, a little. But, I am sure that she has another "Muslim Refusenik" agenda waiting in the ranks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liam Saiful Din said...

Asalamu Alaikum,
I just happen to stumble upon your site and found it very interesting as well as informative. I had the displeasure of seeing Ms. Manji on Real Time and she is indeed an uncivil slob. Keep up the good work sis:-)

3:07 PM  
Blogger izzymo said...

Walaikum salaam and Jazak Allah Khairn. I have your blog saved in my Favorite's file. :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger media mongol said...

I was unfortunate enough to catch some of her performance. She was pretty obnoxious, cutting off people, combative with the host (who has been so burned by being kicked off ABC that he's done quite a 180 on several issues) and rude with the other guests.

1:41 AM  
Blogger izzymo said...

Yeah, Media Mongol, have you notice how he and Dennis Miller have radically changed their p.o.v's? I guess he's gotta eat and HBO pays well, as long as you say what they want you to say. :)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home